Baker High School was established in the early 1900s (possibly 1914) as part of the East Baton Rouge Parish School System. The school was orginially housed in an old framed house but a brick building was erected in 1923 which held eleven grades. From 1913 to 1916 the school was led by Principal W.B. Hatcher who would later become President of LSU. In 1940, additions were added as well as a gymnasium. In 1991, East Baton Rouge Parish citizens voted in favor of the creation of a Baker City School System. A formally elected School Board was in place by 1999 and were given permission to take over the five schools that fell within the Baker city limits including Baker High School. By 2003, the Baker School System was no longer under the control of the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board.