This historically African American university was established in 1880 in the Northern section of Baton Rouge on Scott's Bluff. The school was chartered by the Louisiana General Assembly as Southern College located in New Orleans. The college later created a mechanical and agricultural department in order to meet the requirements of being a land grant school and opened a campus on Scott's Bluff in Scotlandville (Baton Rouge). In 1921 the school underwent a major expansion to include a major increase in student population as well as construction of new buildings, some of which are still present today. In 1974 the Southern University System was established by the Louisiana Legislature. The System consists of Southern University A & M College Baton Rouge, Southern University A & M College New Orleans, Southern University at Shreveport, Southern University Law Center, and Southern University Agricultural Center. At one time the school oversaw the School of the Deaf and Blind but this institution has since merged with the state system. The school is well known for it's Civil Rights Activism during the Civil Rights Movement, and the Human Jukebox marching band.